Over the last 15 months Owen McGill, working to achieve the rank of Eagle Scout, organized a group of 41 volunteers to improve the trail system at Camp Cullom. In total, more than 200 volunteer hours were clocked to create a state-of-the-art trail system at Camp Cullom complete with:
- Installation of trail markers on all six trails
- Design and production of new color trail maps for visitors, including QR codes for maps you can carry with you on your device.
- 5.7 mile trail system with 6 carefully designed trails leading through a variety of habitats at the 90 acre Camp
- “Prairie Knoll Trail”
- “Upper Wetland Trail”
- “Red Cedar Alley Trail”
- “Roundabout Trail”
- “Chapel Pond Trail”
- “Towering Tulips Trail”
- Blazing and construction of a brand-new loop trail never seen at the Camp before (Red Cedar Alley Trail)
- Removal of outdated trail markers
- Authored camp Cullom trail guides and maps on AllTrails.com.
McGill said “This has been challenging work…but worth it. It improves Camp Cullom for the whole community”.
Camp Cullom is celebrating the new trail system on National Trail Day on Saturday, June 3, 2023.
• Hike the trails at your leisure
• Join a guided hike
• Make a sun catcher
• Purchase a snack and make S’Mores
• Roast hot dogs
• Join the Friends of Camp Cullom
• Play on the playground
• Take nature photos
• Have a picnic
• Pick up a new trail map
• Find our new trail listings on the All Trails App
• Take the National Trails Day Pledge
9:30 AM: Hike the Prairie Meet at the Shelter House